Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Wednesday Widget

Yes, I admit it, I like to borrow tools, especially from my dad. And yes, again readily admitted, I'm reluctant to give anything back until threatened with bodily harm. Well, this Wednesday's Widget falls into this category. And it truly has become something I can't live without.

Since this is a blog post is one of admissions, I'll admit to being a bit afraid of ladders. Generally, I find myself avoiding projects that involve spending an extended amount of time up in the air. Granted, I will do the obligatory gutter cleaning and Christmas light-hanging as needed. But in this cases, and if you're going to go anyway, why not go in electrified blaze of holiday cheer?

I (acquired) a Pro-Series 4ft Scaffold to first do some ceiling repair in the living room. In this case, repair meant tearing out all of the 1x1 foam ceiling tiles that hung in all their stained and cigarette smelling glory, and replacing them with a standard ceiling. From there, I used it to paint every other room in the house, hang crown moulding, and paint the bottom half my house's exterior to avoid - you guessed it - spend any more time on the ladder than absolutely needed.

There's a couple of things I really like about this tool. First, you can cover a fairly large work area without having to reposition the scaffold. In this case, walking the plank is actually working in your favor. Second, both steps can be set at the same height to provide a large workspace. In addition, although it's not shown in this stock picture, my model has a pop out tray for paint and tools that becomes quite handy. Finally, it does provide a good place to take a rest when all the other furniture has been cleared out of a room.

This is really something that can be used in almost any total-room project. It folds up and stores in a fairly small space, although it does take some effort to stop it from shifting when stored at first. In addition, it's a little bulky to carry and one of my wheels always falls off when I pick it up. But, in comparison to its usability, these burdens are small.

The only thing that's really missing is a cup holder.

At $80 it is well worth every penny that somebody else paid for it.

I don't think dad is getting this one back any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment