Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wainscoat Wonderings

One thing I love about old houses in the woodwork. Someday I'd love a wood-panelled reading room complete with a fireplace and leather armchair.

Our house is from the craftsman era, but doesn’t have a lot to offer in terms of interior woodwork. At 900 sft, it doesn't really offer much in terms of library space either.

For our bedroom project I’d like to do something that adds dimension and sure up our old walls a bit. The solution? Wainscoating.

Wainscoating is woodwork that covers a substantial portion of the actual wall itself. This Old House did a great primer on wainscoating. You can find it HERE.

I’m going to go with board and batten style in order to add some drama to the room. This usually requires a substantial amount of labor and carpentry. So, naturally, I’m looking for a way to cheat and achieve the same look and function. I found this site, which provides a great technique to do just that. In addition, I really like to color and look of the room. I think we may have just found our remodel inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment